Monday, July 8, 2013

"Fighting the Good Fight" (Hilary)

Hi Blog followers! I somehow got behind a week with Hilary's emails so below I'm posting one from last week and then this week's.

JULY 1, 2013

Wow, what a long week. It is weird how the weeks seem to fly but at the same time I feel like SO much happens. I feel like I have had a good amount of time here, but really it has been so little. Today we had to say goodbye to Hermana Cooper. She is so great. It has been such a privilege to get to know her and work with her here. She is a beautiful person inside and out and I have learned a lot from her. We already miss her!

Tuesday we helped out at a training meeting. It went really well. I have so much respect for the Ghents. I am excited to be in this position where we are working closely with them. I am learning so much. It was really sweet though; as we were leaving Hermana Ghent pulled me aside and congratulated me on the assignment and everything. She got a little teary-eyed and was just like, "When President told me that you would be the next Hermana Leader, I felt a confirmation that it needed to be you. ..... You are a light for this mission." and on and on. It was so sweet! It is so nice to have her here!!! Sunday Hermana Cooper had her last interview with President at the mission home and meanwhile we just chatted with Hermana Ghent. It was like a thirty minute break from the mission. I feel so lucky to have her here. I guess now she is not my mission president's wife, but I will keep you all updated for how things go with sweet Sister Richardson.

Which leads me to my next point. We are in Ecuador Quito North Mission, with the new President Richardson and his wife. We met them today in the offices. They seem so great!
Okay, what else? I hesitate to tell these things, but I am sick again. For about nine days I have had a really strong headache and it has been going for 24 hours a day. I know things will get worked out. The nurse here is a sweet girl and she wants to help. It is a bummer because it is making work really difficult. I have tried a few different pills and nothing has helped. Can you all keep praying for my health? I only have like 20 weeks left! I can do anything for 20 weeks! The transfer dates and everything are being changed here in the new mission, so I think I will be getting home mid November. Like the 18 or 19. Enjoy the trip you take in October! And have fun in New Jersey/New York this week! I love you all and miss you so much!

Okay, no time left! I am so bad at this! I love you all! THanks for all you do for me!

Hermana Norton


JULY 8, 2013

Dear Family,

It has been a crazy week! I have so much to write and very little time!

First things first, although I would prefer to write in Chronological order. Another emergency transfer! I am now in IÑAQUITO, aka, the center of the city! A companionship of sisters in Otavalo were having some issues in their zone and President Richardson sent them to PUSUQUI, and sent us to IÑAQUITO and sent the sisters that were here in Iñaquito to the sector in Otavalo. A huge triangle mess of transfers. It was crazy and we spent the weekend doing divisions por aqui por alla trying to get everything worked out. Needless to say, the area book will be my best friend this week. It is a great sector! My companion and I have both received confirmations that we need to be here. President is great. I love my assignment. Working with the hermanas and helping them out in different ways has really been a big help for me this week to remember why I love this work so much and why I am here.

Friday was the first "Consejo de Lideres" (leadership council) that I have attended and I left enlightened and excited. I was really impressed with the "charla abierta" and capacitaciones and the comments of all the missionaries. There is something to learn from everyone and I feel blessed to work in an assignment where I can learn from other leaders and work on improving and developing better skills and qualities as a representative of Christ. I was really nervous going into it, but just left really loving life and the mission and everything. Every month we have this meeting as all the leaders of the mission. President and the assistants train every month, WE train EVERY MONTH, and a pair of zone leaders trains every month. In other words, the responsibilities just keep building up and up. Love it though.

Well, I feel so grateful for what has been happening lately and just wanted to let you all in on things. For over two weeks now I have had a headache that is unbearable and that has not let up. It is all the time. I wake up and open my eyes and just feel so much pain. It has been so weird and nothing has helped. I have had many other problems, but we just haven't figured out what is up. Sunday was hard for everything that we had going on. I just felt awful. But this morning I woke up feeling completely fine, after two weeks straight. It was really exciting and it seemed like a miracle. I remember laying in my bed hearing my alarm go off and just thinking... "Wait, my head doesn't hurt." When I read my your emails, I cried. I am not 100%, but I am amazed at the sudden difference and SO INDEBTED to you all for you prayers and fast. THANK YOU SO MUCH. I care for you all so much and can't express how grateful I feel. All the little things really build up and have great outcomes. I am so grateful for the principle of fast and every prayer that Heavenly Father hears and answers.

I have had a couple moments of reflection this week and have meditated on the Savior's Atonement. I am so grateful for His love that offers and the happiness we receive through Him. I struggle to grasp how great everything is and really how blessed I am. I just want to share my testimony of the Lord's plan. Really Heavenly Father wants the BEST for each one of His children. He offers us so many opportunities and has shown us the way. He offers us the best: His perfect Son. But as God, He has to leave us to choose for ourselves. If we choose to follow Him and keep the commandments, we will be happy HERE and in the next life, with those who we love most! The gospel is so beautiful.

Okay, gotta go! Love you all so much! Thank you once again for your fast!
 
 Can you buy me and send me a CD by Daniel Beck with "God Be With You Till We Meet Again" and "Amazing Grace" and "The Prophet's Prayer" and all that?? I love it! Send pictures of the whole trip, please! I am excited to see! Also, Stacia told me about what the Elders did to trick her! How funny! I hope you are all doing so well.

Hermana Norton

P.s. The address is the same, just have to write "Casilla: 17-07-9921" instead of the other "casilla."

P.s.s Some converts and members from Calderon are going to come visit me this Sunday in the ward over here!

No comments:

Post a Comment