Wednesday, February 6, 2013

"... or the girl with the carrot hair! ... What color are the carrots here in Ecuador? " (Hilary)

"Hey Carrots! ... Carrots!"

Dear Family,

Happy Monday! I hope you all have a fantastic day!

Thanks for writing, everyone! I love hearing from you all! It is so vital to my sanity. Jaja. But seriously. I got goosebumps reading about Wes. Tell him I say congrats! That is such a cool story! Thanks, Mom, for the thought you shared. Today I needed to hear that. Something that is funny is I have shared that thought with many in lessons, but forget sometimes to apply things like that to myself. So, thanks. 
Mitch, how did the move go? Are you all settled? I can't believe how quickly that all happened. I am praying for your family. I hope you are all doing well.

Well, the other Monday, Hermana D. was crying after we wrote home. She later told me that her brother and sister are inactive. Hermana D. is the seventh of ten children. Of the twelve in her family, four are members, neither of which are her parents. It is hard for her, but her mom has been a good support, even though she is not a member of the Church. Well, we have been praying extra for her family and she wrote them and they said they are going to start going to church again. But a few times during the week the thought crossed my mind of how tough it must be to have inactive family members, or worse, family members that are not members of your same religion. I can't imagine how tough that would be. I am grateful for the circumstances in which I live.

Funny Story: Wherever we are, there are always, always men calling, talking, and whistling at us. It is something you become accustomed to in the first week of your mission. Well, often they try to say things in English or make comments about my hair, etc. The other day, a man made a comment about "la chica con el pelo de sanahoria" ... or the girl with the carrot hair!!!!!!!!!!!! JAJA. I laughed so hard. 1. What? What color are the carrots here in Ecuador? 2. I just felt like it was a scene that came straight out of Anne of Green Gables. I couldn't wait to tell you, Mom.

Sunday we had a baptism before the sacrament meeting. It was of A2 and P., the mom and sister of Ax It went really well! And I am so happy for their family because they are soon going to ALL be members. That's where the greatest joy is. I am attaching a couple pictures.


Today I bought some shoes. They are great. Yesterday was a really hard, long day, but a little retail therapy was just the fix. (Some things will never change.) (Although a LOT of me has changed.)

Well, one of our investigators, E, isn't progressing much, but I just want to mention how much I love her. It is cool how this all works out; the connections we make with these people are what Heavenly Father had planned. Anyway, she and I have become good friends and I want so badly for her to accept the gospel. She is one of the investigators that I feel like I know I was sent to (and not any other sister missionary) for a reason.
Well, that's all for the moment. I love you all. Please keep writing and reading and praying.

H.H.N.

Hilary mentioned the book "Anne of Green Gables" by Lucy Maud Montgomery... we LOVE that story and I think I've watched the PBS version of it more than any other movie. (save the PBS version of Pride and Prejudice) If Anne Shirley were a real girl I just know we would've been "kindred spirits"!                   joanna

Great Quotes from "Anne of Green Gables"

“It's been my experience that you can nearly always enjoy things if you make up your mind firmly that you will.” 
*******
“Life is worth living as long as there's a laugh in it.” 
*******
“It's not what the world holds for you. It's what you bring to it.” 
*******
“It is ever so much easier to be good if your clothes are fashionable.” 
*******
“I'm so glad I live in a world where there are Octobers.” 
*******
“Kindred spirits are not so scarce as I used to think. It's splendid to find out there are so many of them in the world.” 
*******
“I've done my best, and I begin to understand what is meant by 'the joy of strife'. Next to trying and winning, the best thing is trying and failing.” 
*******
“Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we know all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?But am I talking too much? People are always telling me I do. Would you rather I didn't talk? If you say so I'll stop. I can STOP when I make up my mind to it, although it's difficult.” 

No comments:

Post a Comment