Wednesday, July 25, 2012

I'm a real missionary with awkward tanlines and bed bugs (Hilary)

Hey everyone,

   I love you all and I hope you're doing so well. I love receiving your letters (Mom, today I received a card from you.. and the scriptures from Grandma with my name inscripted on them.) and emails. It's really cool for me to be able to see the happiness that our family has from the outside. I mean, I'm still on the inside of the family, but I'm just seeing pictures and hearing about what you're up to and realizing more and more how blessed and happy we are. God is good.

   Okay, I hope Cali is fun. I hope the Rice family is doing so well. I care about you guys so so much! Dad, good luck with the Rolls Royce...
   Okay, a few things I've been wanting to share: First, the food here is better than I've ever had in my life. I mean, nothing beats a home cooked meal by Mom, but people here are like, "What kind of food do you like, Hermana Norton?" and I'm like "THIS food!" Always soup and rice and bananas and corn prepared in all different ways. I need to make a journal of all the amazing things I eat and get the recipes. I have yet to eat anything seriously gross, like guinea pig. Prayers are answered.
Hilary's companion, Hrm Rodriguez, at their apartment
 There is a volcano we can see from our window and I think sometimes there is lava coming out of it. (Wow, I can't believe this sentence made it into my weekly email. How insignificant.)
   I have tan lines on my feet. I don't know why I feel like that is so noteworthy, but to me it means that I'm a real missionary. A real missionary with awkward tanlines and bed bugs (yep. but the members here tell me that I have fewer bites than the Hna who slept in my bed before me... so... there is a silver lining to every cloud, right?)

  Our newest investigator has a baptismal date, but is extremely sick and can't attend church, thus, we have to push off his baptism. It's a big bummer because he is so receptive and really progressing, aside from church attendance (J.P). 
 We've also been working with a girl named G who is so great. The problem we often run into is that the people want to learn and are so anxious to listen, but don't realize that they need to be baptized to receive all the blessings promised. I've been trying to put more emphasis on the Book of Mormon because once they gain a testimony of it, they will realize the need to join the true church, and not just rely on the Catholic baptism as a child. I want so badly for these people to have this. I'm trying to do what I can and need to so that I can be an effective instrument.
   Mom, I want you to know that the families here in this branch have taken such good care of me. I think if you knew how much they do for us missionaries you would be brought to tears in gratitude. I am so thankful for the members here and I just wanted you to know that there are people on this side of the world taking care of me that you should express gratitude for.
   Okay, I want to share two quotes.

"We look back to claim the embers from glowing experiences but not the ashes. And when we have learned what we need to learn and have brought with us the best that we have experienced, then we look ahead and remember that faith is always pointed toward the future." Jeffrey R. Holland

"Those who diligently seek to learn of Christ eventually will come to know Him. They will personally receive a divine portrait of the Master, although it most often comes in the form of a puzzle -- one piece at a time. Each individual piece may not be easily recognizable by itselfñ it may not be clear how it relates to the whole. Each piece helps us to see the big picture a little more clearly. Eventually, after enough pieces have been put together, we recognize the grand beauty of it all. Then, looking back on our experience, we see that the Savior had indeed come to be with us -- not all at once but quietly, gently, almost unnoticed." E. Uchtdorf

This is how my testimony has come. Especially in these past few months of my life, February to now. I am so grateful for this Gospel and I can testify that Heavenly Father knows each of us personally and our circumstances. He is real. This is the true church. The Book of Mormon is true and contains the fulness of the gospel. Christ lives and loves us.

Hna. Norton

No comments:

Post a Comment